The Duke Islamic Studies Center, Duke University Middle East Studies Center, and Qatar Foundation International present a summer institute for 6-12 educators:
Dimensions of the Middle East: Foundations, Cultures, and Geopolitics
A Summer Institute for Educators
June 24-29, 2018 | Duke University
Join us for a five-day workshop this summer designed to introduce teachers to different dimensions of the Middle East. From social movements to geopolitics to cultures and more, teachers will deepen their understanding of both the historic and modern Middle East. Participants will learn from scholars and community experts, engage with authentic texts, and participate in experiential learning activities. Throughout the institute, teachers will think about how to bring these themes into their classrooms and will work in groups or individually to develop curriculum or materials for classroom use.
During the summer institute, participants will explore various facets of the Middle East to enhance historical, political, and cultural knowledge of the region. Each day will be spent exploring a new theme including: the foundations of Islam and the modern Middle East; social movements and nationalism; cultures, identity, and belonging; as well as contemporary issues and geopolitics. Connections to current events in the region will be made throughout the program to provide engaging and relevant content.
Sessions with K-12 education specialists will be integrated during the program to help teachers link content learned with pedagogical practice. Educators will gain resources and teaching strategies to engage students in learning about and developing new perspectives of the region.
Working in small groups, participants will begin to develop a thematic lesson plan or activity integrating workshop content. Time will be allocated at the end of the program for research and drafting of the lesson or classroom activity. Participants will continue to work on their resource after the workshop has completed, and will submit the final draft of their curricular resource within a month following the institute.
Professional Development Credit
Each participant will be awarded a professional development certificate at the end of the institute. Given that each state has different rules regarding obtaining professional development credit, the amount of credit an educator receives for participating in the program may vary.
Housing, Meals, and Travel
All travel-related logistics and expenses will be arranged and covered for selected participants including travel, lodging, and meals. Any expenses associated with materials required for the program will also be covered. Teachers will be housed in a hotel in downtown Durham, and will be transported to and from Duke University and other institute activities. Flight expenses or mileage reimbursements will be available to all selected participants.
Eligibility and Conditions
- This institute is open to currently practicing educators teaching in grades 6-12 in the United States.
- Applicants must continue teaching in the next consecutive school year.
- Given the themes of this institute, this program is open to teachers in the social sciences/humanities and arts fields.
- Selected participants will be required to develop and submit a lesson plan or activity within one month of the institute’s completion.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 5:00 PM EST
Notification Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2018
- To apply, you must register for an account on Qatar Foundation International’s Grants Management Portal, FluidReview, at http://qfi.fluidreview.com/.
- Upon completing your login credentials and user profile, you will be required to take an Eligibility Quiz. This series of questions will determine whether or not you are eligible to apply for this institute.
- After completing the Eligibility Quiz, please click “View Grants” at the bottom of your screen. This button will provide you with a list of opportunities for which you can apply to. If you are eligible to apply to the institute, it will appear on your list. Please click on the “Apply Now” button to complete the application.
To learn more about the experience of teachers who participated in the 2017 summer institute, please visit here.
For a PDF download of the application, click below.